03rd August 2020: The list of selected candidates for the MDS program is here. The selected candidates will receive the offer letter from the MDS committee through email this week.
29th July 2020: The interviews for admission to the MDS program (2020 batch) are completed. Hence no further interview shortlist will be released. The results will be uploaded on this website next week, and the selected candidates will be contacted through email. Classes will commence from September 2020.
21st July 2020: The third shortlist for the interviews is here
18th July 2020: The second shortlist for the interviews is here
21st June 2020: The application ids of the candidates shortlisted for interviews can be found in this link.
17th June 2020: The application ids of the candidates shortlisted for interviews will be announced on this website by Sunday, 21st June 2020.
02nd June 2020: The shortlist for the written test can be found here. The shortlisted candidates will be communicated through email with details of how the exam will be conducted and other relevant instructions by mid of next week.
28th May 2020: To allow more number of candidates to participate in the selection process, we have decided to have an online objective test on 14th June 2020, at 11 am. Among the applications that we have received before the application deadline, the candidates who are found to be eligible will be allowed to appear in this online test. Eligible candidates will receive an email from us within the next few days mentioning the details of the exam, and also their application IDs will be published on this page. The syllabus for the test will be: Programming, Probability, Data Structures and Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Databases, and basic concepts in Statistics, Data Mining, Machine Learning. Please note that we are not inviting any fresh applications.
15th May 2020: Given the current scenario and restrictions/difficulties related to travel, the selections will be based on interviews only. The list of candidates shortlisted for the interview will be announced by the end of this month.
03rd April 2020: The page has been updated with the details of the 2020 round of admissions.
Overview of MDS programme
From August 2018 semester, CSE department is offering a new MTech programme known as MTech in Data Science (MDS). It is an extension to the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) programme and is equivalent to regular MTech programme. This FAQ contains curriculum, syllabus and other details about the MDS programme.
It is a self-paced program of 48 credits that can be taken over 3-5 years. Similar to EMDS programme, students will do 24 credits of coursework in the first two years. In the third year, they would two Capstone projects of 12 credits each. If a student is not interested in doing the 24 credits of Capstone projects, then he/she can graduate with the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) degree.
Students have the option of taking lesser number of courses in different semesters and complete the course requirement in 2-4 years. The classes will be held over the weekends or other timings suitable for working professionals. More details can be found here.
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Process
- This programme is exclusively for professionals working in the industry.
- The candidate preferably should have a BTech/BE degree in CS/EE/IT/ECE, or an MCA, an MSc/MS/ME/M.Tech. degree in CS/IT
- At least 70% marks or 7.0 CGPA in one of the qualifying exams (BTech/BE in CS/EE/IT/ECE, or MCA, or MSc/MS/ME/M.Tech. in CS/IT)
- The candidate must have a minimum three years of work experience in a relevant industry and be employed in industry at the time of applying. Internship experience, and the experience before completing the earliest qualifying degree (as listed above) are not counted.
- Exceptional candidates with B.Tech./BE degree or an ME/M.Tech. degree in other disciplines will be considered, provided they have outstanding academic records and strong programming work experience in the industry (which should be clearly demonstrated in the application), and/or strong background in data science/related areas (which should be clearly demonstrated in the application). The right to shortlist such candidates (with a different academic training background other than those listed in Point 2) will remain with IIT-H. The objective criteria regarding minimum experience and marks in qualifying exam remain the same as mentioned above.
- Candidates must fill an online application. Click here to go to the application page.
- The selection will be based on written tests conducted in IIT Hyderabad in end of May.,followed by online interviews. The written test schedule will be published in the website after the last date of submitting applications is over. Candidates will be shortlisted for interviews based on written test performance.
- However, due to the COVID-19 situation, there are uncertainties regarding the dates of the written exam. If the travel advisories by Government or the decisions taken by the institute/department prohibit travel and gathering, then the selection will be based on only interviews (no written test). In that case stricter shortlisting criteria will be followed, and the list of candidates shortlisted for the interviews will be put up in the website. In case we go ahead with this interview-only approach, all candidates may not be interviewed even if they satisfy the basic eligibility criteria. The department reserves the right to set any cut off criteria for shortlisting the candidates.
The fee for applying to the program is ₹500/- (Irrespective of Caste & Gender). There is a registration fee of ₹15,000 per semester the student enrolls for one or more courses. The course fee is ₹25,000 per credit for the courses. For the Capstone project, the fee is ₹12,500 per credit. For all the 48 credits the total fee is ₹9 Lakhs. While paying the application fee through SBI Collect, select the MDS option from dropdown in SBI Collect page.
- April 3, 2020: Date of opening of portal for submitting online applications.
- April 30, 2020: Last date for submitting online applications. Portal closes at 16:00 hours.
- Last week of May: Written test (tentative*).
- 1st to 3rd week of June 2020: Online interviews.
- Last week of June 2020: Announcement of selected candidates.
- July 22, 2020: Registration.
- August 2020: Classes commence.
Please note that the above schedule is tentative. There might be some changes to it due to the COVID-19 situation and reasons beyond our control.
The courses would be offered either on Saturdays from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm or on Monday - Friday from 8:30 - 10:00 am. The time slot in which a course would be taught would be informed to students beforehand to help them in deciding electives. It can be taken at IITH campus or remotely through video-enabled online courses.
- Apply for MDS 2020 admission here
- MDS Brochure for Year 2020 is here
- Faculty profiles can be found here
- This FAQ contains curriculum, syllabus and other details about the MDS programme.
Help Desk Timings
9:30 am-1:00 pm and 2:00 pm-5:30 pm (Monday-Friday) (Note: Candidates are requested to call us on Government working days only)