24 Dec 2020: Selection procedure for 3-year MTech in CSE (RA) admissions for Dec 2020/Jan 2021 session has concluded. Selected candidates have been informed via email.
14 Dec 2020: Shortlisted applicants for the Dec 2020/Jan 2021 round of 3-year MTech in CSE admissions have been intimated via email.
Announcement: CSE Department is seeking applications for the three year MTech (RA) programme (Dec 2020/Jan 2021 session). For more details and important dates, see sections below. The application form is available at: https://www.iith.ac.in/mtechadmissions/
Important points to note regarding filling up of application:
- Please keep a note of your application number as soon as you start filling out the form, even if you have not submitted it. You may take a screenshot of the application page for the record. In case of any queries, it is mandatory to quote the application number.
- Payment of application fee alone does not imply that the application has been submitted. You need to enter the payment reference number in your form, finish filling the details, and click on submit. The status of the application should show “Submitted”.
- The application portal may not permit logins after the application deadline. Please keep a copy of your application after submission using the “Print application” option after submission.
- 01-Dec-2020, 4PM IST: Deadline for applications.
Tentative timeline (subject to changes):
- Notification to shortlisted candidates for interview: Dec 4th-7th, 2020
- Interview dates: Dec 12th - Dec 15th.
- Declaration of results: Dec 18th-20th.
- Deadline for candidates’ acceptance: Within 2-3 days of declaration of results.
I. General Information
The CSE department at IIT Hyderabad invites outstanding candidates to join us for the Master of Technology (M.Tech.) programme. The M.Tech. programme at IIT-H provides ample opportunities for students to explore both research and development skills. The advanced and specialized courses provide deeper insights into various subjects in Computer Science and Engineering, while the M.Tech. thesis allows you to go deeper into a topic of your interest by joining exciting research projects of the young faculty in the department. An M.Tech. at CSE-IITH will prepare you both for sought-after industry jobs, or for a Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering. IIT-H has its vision firmly entrenched in being a cradle for invention and innovation, and has already established partnerships with international partners, especially in Japan, since its inception in 2008. The CSE Department at IIT-H is active in research areas including theoretical computer science, algorithms, graph theory, networking, distributed systems, compilers, big data analytics, data mining, machine learning, and image/video processing. It has large active funded research projects in the application domains of cyber-physical systems, converged cloud radio access networks, and data analytics. While the standard M.Tech. programme spans 2 years, the 3-year M.Tech. programme is research-focused and allows students to work on sponsored research projects, thus focusing on research every semester, along with the coursework.
The intake for 2-year M.Tech. happens only once a year (for the July session), while the intake for the 3-year M.Tech. and the Sponsored M.Tech. typically happens twice a year (for the July and January sessions).
The CSE department does not offer a part-time M.Tech. programme. Admission to the M.Tech. programme is solicited in the following categories for the Dec 2020 session:
- 3-Year M.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering, under the following admission modes:
- Project Sponsored (GATE qualification necessary)
- Project Sponsored, with 6 months experience in IITH (GATE qualification not necessary)
Regarding modes of funding/sponsorship:
The following points explain the various modes of funding for the programme(s) mentioned above:
- Students admitted into the 3-year M.Tech. programme under Project Sponsored mode receive a stipend from the funds of the project (which may be Govt. or Industry sponsored) that they conduct research on during the programme.
For the fee structure for the above programmes and admission modes, please refer to https://iith.ac.in/academics/fee-structure/
For details on the selection process, please see Section III below.
II. Eligibility Criteria
3-Year M.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering
- Project Sponsored (GATE qualification necessary):
- A 4-year B.Tech./B.E. degree in any engineering discipline or an MSc/MS/MCA degree in CS/IT/Maths, and have an excellent academic record. Candidates having professional qualifications recognized by AICTE, like AMIE, are also eligible to apply, AND
- The candidate should have demonstrated adequate background in computer science (Valid GATE score in CS/IT).
- As an exception to point (b) above, B.Tech/MSc/MS/MCA students from IITs and IISc with a CPI of at least 8.0 will be granted a waiver from GATE requirement.
- Project Sponsored, with 6 months IITH experience (GATE qualification not necessary):
- A 4-year B.Tech./B.E. degree in any engineering discipline or an MSc/MS/MCA degree in ECE/Statistics/CS/IT/Maths, and have an excellent academic record. Candidates having professional qualifications recognized by AICTE, like AMIE, are also eligible to apply, AND
- The candidate must be currently involved in a project with a faculty at IITH, and the current supervisor’s project funds sponsor the expenses of the M.Tech. Programme, AND
- A sponsorship letter from the project supervisor needs to be produced at the time of the selection interview (see details of selection process in Section III below).
III. Selection procedure and Important Points
3-year M.Tech. in Computer Science Programme, all modes:
- Admission to the 3-year M.Tech. Programme will be based on an entrance exam and/or interviews for shortlisted candidates. The department may use various application parameters including (but not limited to) GATE score for shortlisting candidates. Interviews test the candidates on standard topics in a Computer Science syllabus (data structures, programming, theory of computation, algorithms, networking, OS, DBMS, etc). Given the prevailing COVID-19 scenario, the CSE Department may choose to conduct interviews online for all shortlisted candidates. We will update shortlisted candidates with the details of the process well in advance.
- Students in a 3-year M.Tech. programme complete the same amount of coursework as 2-year M.Tech. students but are additionally involved in sponsored research projects and get sufficient time in each semester to work on research.
- Admitted students will receive a stipend as per research project guidelines, for Research Assistantship (RA).
- Prior research exposure and/or industry experience are also considered while selecting candidates in these categories.
M.Tech. in Data Science (MDS) Programme for working professionals:
- Details regarding the MDS programme including selection procedure and fees can be found on our MDS Admissions page.
Points common to all admission modes and programmes:
- The department also has the provision for students in the M.Tech. programme to convert to Ph.D. during the programme.
- Candidates still to appear in their qualifying degree examinations may also apply, provided they appear in all their qualifying degree examinations and complete all requirements for their degrees at least a month before the joining semester. If selected, such candidates shall be admitted provisionally, and they will have to furnish the results of their qualifying degree examinations on joining. Further, they must fulfill the minimum requirements of marks/CPI, and other conditions like valid GATE score, etc., as mentioned under eligibility criteria for respective programmes. Failure to fulfill any of these requirements shall automatically result in cancellation of admission.
- The department reserves the right to set any cut off criteria for shortlisting the candidates. The shortlisted candidates will be called for an exam/interview as required. The department has the right not to select any candidates if appropriate candidates are not found.
The following certificates are to be produced by the candidates in original at the time of admission for verification:
- Degree / Diploma Certificates or provisional certificates from the competent authority of the University or Institute concerned. (In case of candidates whose results are awaited, producing the mark sheets / grade card will be sufficient. However, if selected, they have to produce the certificate mentioned, for verification, at the time of admission)
- All Mark sheets / Grade Cards of your qualifying examinations
- OBC/SC/ST Certificate, if applicable
- Sponsorship Letter, if applicable
- Publications, if applicable
- No objection certificate from the present employer, if applicable
- Documentary evidence establishing current employment, if applicable
For updates and latest information, interested candidates are requested to periodically check: https://www.cse.iith.ac.in/admissions/mtech.html